Why do I need a Guardian for my child?
All American schools require that their pupils have a local contact who is responsible for the welfare of the child while in the US.
As well as caring for your child from the moment of arrival in the US, we are also here to help in any way we can with preparations for coming to the USA.
At WISE we are available 24 hours a day to students and parents to answer questions, help solve problems, give advice, and provide support in the unlikely event of an emergency.
We are aware of all legal, visa and US government implications. We have working relationships with the individual schools and will act as an advocate for our students when needed.
The Guardianship Service provides a scheme that is highly professional while maintaining focus on providing the best care for our students. Local area coordinators are available.
Covered by our Guardianship Service
- Visa advice and arrangements
- Pre-arrival seminar/meeting with parents and new students
- Assisting where necessary in document preparation prior to departure including visa documents for presentation in home country
- Arranging meeting service at airport of arrival and transport to school. We always assume that our students will wish to be met upon their arrival in the US, so transport to the school is always arranged unless we are informed otherwise. Transport from school to airport is also booked when required.
- Assistance with ordering and purchase of school uniform where necessary
- Assistance with changing schools if required
- Assistance with changing host families if required
- Organization of US SIM card - pay as you go or contract - or pre-paid telephone card
- Location of appropriate host family as close to school as possible, chosen by personal interview
- Completing all documents and carrying out relevant official checks.
- Overseeing all vacation and half term arrangements
- Liaison between school, student, parents and ourselves
- Arrangement/accompanying of visits to local Doctor or Dentist
- Visiting school on parents' days with follow-up report to parents and student
- Monitoring educational progress and arranging additional tuition when necessary
- Travel arrangements when required between US and home
- Emergency visits to school or to students
- 24 hour telephone accessibility
- Monitoring and payment of pocket money to your child on your behalf
- Arranging accommodation during Christmas, Easter or Summer vacations if required
- Arranging all Department Of Motor Vehicle requirements
- Assistance with purchase of Vehicle (upon issue of Driver’s License)
- Arrangements to visit prospective college campus
- Arrangements to attend college orientation days
- Deal with the schools with any problem that arises academic or otherwise
- All transport expenses are billed at cost.
- Flight tickets, taxi fares, train tickets can be arranged on request
- Cost of host family accommodation
- Additional/private 1:1 tuition at Study Centers
- Registration with the police (if applicable)
- Examinations fees, e.g. for TOEFL or SAT
All of the above can be taken care of by WISE, at the student's expense.
Terms and Conditions
- Wise academics will undertakes to ensure that every effort is made to place students in friendly, reliable home stay accommodation which has received a personal visit from wise academics personal.
- Shoplifting, taking drugs, drinking alcohol under the age of 21 years and misbehaviour will NOT be tolerated. Persistent misbehaviour may lead to the student being sent home at the parents' expense.
- Any damage incurred by the student to home stay property will be invoiced to the student's parents.
- Participation in the program as outlined, including lessons, is obligatory.
- Wise Academics has full public liability and general insurance arranged for students. However they are advised to arrange their own insurance for laptop computers and high value items.
- Students are responsible for ensuring that their travel documents and visas (where required) are complete and up-to-date. Wise Academics will help with visa application paperwork.
- Where flight or rail tickets for students are purchased by Wise Academics, parents must refund the full amount within 5 working days.
- All invoices should be settled by the due date.
- Any disputes or claims between Wise Academics, the student or their parents/guardians will be subject to US law through Fairfield County Court.
- One month's notice is required for cancellation of our Guardianship Service. If due notice is not received a cancellation charge of one month's fees will be made.